Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ankle Injury Progress and Update

It has been 6 weeks since I injured my ankle while skiing.  In that time I have been doing the usual rehab exercises for badly sprained ankles.  In my stubbornness I did not go see a doctor to have it checked out.  I have been here before, I knew what to do, they can't tell me more than I already know blah, blah blah..
Well,..  after 6 weeks, the ankle did not seem to be getting any better.  Every night the ankle would be swollen and I am forced to keep icing it.  I am still unable to run or make strong motions.  The ankle feels really weak and it seemed as if any wrong move I make I would easily re-injure it.  This has concerned me. So, sucking it up, I forced myself into a walk-in clinic to have it assessed.  All I wanted was to have it x-rayed just to make sure I haven't broken anything.  The good thing is if it is indeed broken, I have been doing the right things treating it as if it was a broken bone, wearing an ankle brace etc.. (except for riding my bike,  but shush, no one needs to know that).
Good news!  Nothing's broken!  Not-so-good news, there's ligament damage.  Oh well, that explains it.  I could treat this as devastating news as it would limit most of my cycling plans for the summer, the long planned trips, the bike rides up mountains etc.  but I will look at it on a positive note; I have no torn ligaments!  Woohoo!  Torn ligaments could easily take up to 6 months to heal, whereas my minor ligament damage can only take a small amount of time.  They say it could take between 6 weeks to 6 months to heal and I am already on my 6th week; nothing's torn, so I am hoping it won't be much longer.  My job is to make sure it heals fully before I start pushing myself and go on strenuous and long rides.  Maybe that 70k bike ride a few weeks ago was not such a good idea?

1 comment:

  1. Now this is Informative writing, Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete