Sunday, March 17, 2013

MayaCycle on Dragon's Den!

This coming April 7, 2013 at 8pm EST, Maya Cycle will be appearing on CBC's Dragon's Den TV Show to WOW the Dragons with their bicycle trailer product!
I am so excited and can't wait to watch this episode as I have known about it for a whole year since it was filmed!  It is now finally airing nationwide and we can all FINALLY find out the outcome from the shoot!

As some of you may know, I have become friends with Marta of Maya Cycle ever since I first met her at the 2011 Vancouver Bike Show (My Journey Into Bicycle Dorkdom) where I had my first look at their bicycle trailer product.  Shortly after that, I purchased my own trailer and have become very 'attached' to it for all my cycling camping and touring purposes.
Maya Cycle with their bicycle trailer is a very new Canadian company started up by Marta's family with her father being the designer and engineer behind the trailer and Marta doing everything else behind the business side of things.  Her stories of how the company started up and how at one point she had to unload hundreds of pieces of inventory from a shipping container by hand and having to store it all in her parents' basement was nothing short of jaw dropping.  Having personally witnessed the hard work and extreme dedication that Marta puts into her company, the travelling she does all over N. America to promote her product, all the sacrifices and long hours of work and having seen her in tears because of all the pressure she puts on her shoulders, one can't help but to root for Marta and to wish her every bit of success that she deserves.  And knowing that this type of dedication is behind the Maya Cycle family, I have no doubt in my mind that the company will soon start seeing the potential and growth in the very near future.  And maybe being on Dragon's Den may just be what jumpstarts it all.

Marta about to make her pitch and woo the Dragons with her charm!  She looks amazing!

A Favourite Dragon, Arlene Dickinson, goes off and tries the bike with attached Maya Cycle Trailer.  Barefeet and all!  

Maya Cycle Trailer in Action in front of the Dragons

This is so exciting and I'm so happy for Marta and MayaCycle.  We still don't know the outcome of the show due to confidentiality reasons and Marta has been soooo well-behaved that she hasn't slipped a word...  even through all my pleading and prodding for her to tell me!!  Haha!  All she tells me is that it was the scariest thing she'd ever done!  So please, watch the show on Sunday April 7 at 8pm EST and it will be rerun on Monday April 8 also at 8pm.  After the episode airs, there will be a section on the Dragon's Den website here http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/ where people can vote 'In' or 'Out' on each pitch, so please please vote 'In' for Mayacycle's pitch!  Tell your friends!  Announce it to everyone you know!  I am sure you all have a cyclist friend or two!  Join Mayacycle's Facebook page here http://www.facebook.com/MayaCycle and please visit their website http://www.mayacycle.com/ .  The more people know about it, the better chance of Maya Cycle taking off!

Me and Marta out on a bike ride with our MayaCycle cargo trailers
Me and Marta manning the MayaCycle booth at the 2012 Vancouver Bike Show!

A HUGE Congratulations to Marta for being on Dragon's Den!  Whatever the outcome may be, we will always be rooting for you!  Go Marta go!  Go Mayacycle!

4 comments:

  1. Hi there; these trailers have been around for quite some time now, and I have dreamed of having one, however, this product is priced for the wealthy "only". The lower middle class and the poor can in no way afford to buy one of these great trailers. Unfortunately, they are the people who can not afford to drive a car, so a bike is the next best thing and it's withing reach of their budget to buy a bike. I am in the poor class, I have 2 bikes, both Norco's which were bought for me as Christmas presents, because I could not afford a Norco, by no means. However, I could buy a one hundred or so dollar bike from Zellers or Walmart, or Canadian Tire. The last time I priced one of these trailers, they were in the $370.00 price range inc., tax. "Way,Way To Much" for two tires, some tubing and some canvas. I'll bet that these trailers are marked up in the 1000% range. Anyway, I'm not complaining, just stating facts, I love the trailers myself and I feel that it is one of the best, if not "the best" bike trailer on the market today, just please, "Please", put on some sales every once in a while so the lower middle class and the poor can pick one up because they are the ones who need them just as badly as the wealthy campers who buy them now. I desperately need one for getting my groceries, both winter and summer.
    Anyway, this is just some observations that I thought might be important to mention. It's an awesome trailer, keep up the good work and God Bless.

    Sincerely;

    Cal Talbot (a 53 yr old biker)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cal,
      Thank you for passing by and leaving a comment.
      I believe you may have mistaken the Maya Cycle trailer with other trailers based on your comment. First off, the Maya Cycle trailer is only a single wheel trailer and there's no canvas on it. Secondly, it has never been priced even close to $370, it is much lower than that. And lastly, the Maya Cycle trailer has only been on the market for 2 years so it is very new on the market.
      So, with all due respect, you may have jumped the gun a little on your comments without really having had the chance to research the Mayacycle trailer.
      Please check out their website at http://www.mayacycle.com or join their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/MayaCycle. They often have a draw every few months that the winner gets a free Maya Cycle trailer. You could be the next winner!

      Delete